I can’t help but wonder what Jesus would think if he floated down from his cloud and saw the ideas right wing conservatives have been championing as “Christian” these past ten years. Let’s take a look at a few of these “Christian” ideals.
- They are against closing a detention facility where we jail scores of people without charge, without a fair process of establishing guilt or innocence, and without the possibility of justice or release.
- They are for torturing people for intelligence even though it goes against the Geneva Conventions, our “morals”, and that it produces completely unreliable intelligence
- They are against a democratic government health care plan that would benefit all of its citizens and not just the wealthy.
- They are for the private insurance industry garnering billions in profits at the expense of countless American lives every year.
- They are for gays fighting and dying for our country so long as they keep quiet about being gay and instead lie and pretend to be straight.
- They are against loving gay couples having the right to be married because, um, I guess that would somehow destroy all Republican marriages?
- They are for promoting the weaponizing of America and advocating our right to bear arms to the extent they encourage carrying guns and assault weapons to church and political rallies.
- They are against detailed fact based sexual education for children in schools
- They are for keeping our children ignorant and instead teaching abstinence only even though it has been proven to be completely ineffective and even counterproductive (counterreproductive?).
- They are against a woman having full control and responsibility of her body and her own sexual reproduction.
- They are for vilifying, terrorizing, and even killing doctors who help women who seek specific kinds of legal medical care.
- They are for prayer and God in school but only if it is Christian prayer and the god is the Lord Jesus Christ. Any other religion (or none) would constitute blasphemy.
Okay, I suppose Jesus would think that last one is alright since He wasn’t much of a constitutional scholar and wouldn’t understand how illegal such a prayer mandate would be. Aside from that one point I like to think that Jesus would be a little mortified that his name is so closely associated with a group promoting such bigoted, ignorant, and homicidal ideals.
Of course I’m talking about that leftist socialist hippie Jesus here. His Dad is a lot more in line with the knuckle dragging branch of the Republican party.
Then again “loving and forgiving” Jesus did have quite the mean streak as well.
So much for love thy neighbor. Meh…maybe the Republicans are right after all.