Consider that approximately 95% of Americans claim to believe in some sort of God while the remaining 5% of Americans are openly atheistic. On that count atheists hardly make a daunting force to be reckoned with and yet the faithful paradoxically strike a besieged and defensive posture in the face of any secular challenge. Some will even go so far as to quote religious passages that anticipate the logical dismissal of their beliefs and extol the virtues of clinging to their articles of faith. This is especially perplexing since all these quotes prove is that the men who wrote the Bible (or Koran or whatever) recognized how unbelievable and preposterous their stories were so they proactively added a few clauses to make their followers either ignore the facts as temptations of the Devil or to try and make them feel good about defending the ridiculous.
So why would the faithful feel so beleaguered and threatened? Is it possible that their faith is so frail that they cannot suffer the reasoned challenges of 5% of the population when they have everyone else by their side? Not exactly. The number that has them feeling so defensive is not the 5% attributed to the number of atheists but the powerful number 100. It is far more upsetting for people of faith when 100% of real science, 100% of reasoned logic and 100% of all physical evidence has weighed in against their beliefs 100% of the time. Science, be it studies of evolution, biology, cosmology, geology, paleontology, etc., appears to have always conspired to call out the lie that is God. The faithful struggle daily to deny and distort the facts to suit their tattered articles of faith, but reality keeps pressing in and corrupting their delusions.
They pray to their Gods and some even beg him to bring his wrath upon all the wretched blasphemers. If that makes them feel better that’s fine, but they need to come to terms with the fact that they’re not really upset with atheists. What is leaving them feeling so assaulted at every turn are not the minority of heathens but the unanimous majority of ever accumulating new facts that persist in begging the truth…the truth that they are likely wasting their time and paying devout homage to absolutely nothing.